Monday, November 28, 2011

I'll Take That 'Aunt of the Year' Award Now


A few weeks back I got into a little scuffle with my 7 year old nephew, Harry. Harry's a very good kid and is usually well behaved. He does have his moments though. When those moments come around, he does something that Kelly and I have dubbed "The Ugly Face Cry." His face scrunches up and his mouth opens and his eyes water. It's not pretty. One of these days I'll get a picture of it. Then I'll use it to blackmail him into giving me a hug when he's in high school.

Anyway, a few weeks back I brought over a jump rope that I received at a blogging event. I only had one so, of course, he and his brother fought over it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that there are about 8 jump ropes in the garage from their older sister. But, I digress, the boys were fighting over the jump rope, yet again, that's when "Mean Auntie Laura" came to play. I yelled at them both to "stop it and give me the jump rope!" Brennan quickly obliged and went on his merry way. Harry was holding firm. He wanted that jump rope and he wasn't letting go. I said to him, "give me the jump rope RIGHT NOW" in my scariest voice. His response? "NO!" It was like he slapped me in the face! You don't say no to "Mean Auntie Laura." It has never been done. That's when I got all mature on his a** and said this: "You're being a real jerk right now." Yes, I said that to my 7 year old nephew. His response, "No, YOU'RE a jerk."

At that point I knew that I had to walk away. I yanked the jump rope out of his hands and gave myself a time out. He did the same. We apologized to each other about 15 minutes later. And we lived happily ever after.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment